FAQ’s & Extra Info
Who is the course for?
For expectant mums & birth partners who want to achieve a calm & positive birth experience. Hypnobirthing accommodates all types of birth in any setting. A place on a course is for mum plus her birth partner (or 2 if she has more than 1). Mums are also very welcome to attend by themselves. Please contact me for more information about doulas & birth support if you don’t have a chosen birth partner or if you wish to attend with more than 1 companion. Ideally birth partners should attend all or as many sessions as possible.
When is the best time to start a Hypnobirthing or antenatal course?
Between 20 and 30 weeks but it’s never too late. This is so you have plenty of time to absorb everything & to practice. The more practice you can do the better.
If you are more than 30 weeks pregnant or nearing the end of pregnancy, don’t worry there is still time, as long as there is enough time for us to cover all of the content before baby’s arrival in condensed sessions or sessions closer together. This would be in a private course format rather than a group, so please contact me to arrange a bespoke course.
How long is the course?
The course is taught over 5 classes. One class per week for 5 consecutive weeks. Each lesson will last for approximately 2.5 hours, totalling 12.5 hours tuition.
When booking a private course, the sessions can be adapted to suit your needs with a different layout if fitting in the 5 sessions is difficult or you are near to the end of your pregnancy.
Why choose a 5 week hypnobirthing course?
The Lemon Tree Hypnobirthing is a full antenatal programme. Preparing you for birth & parenthood. Some of the main tools & techniques you will learn are deep relaxation, fear release and special breathing techniques, which can take time to master. They aren’t skills you can acquire & perfect easily at a quick workshop. Ideally they should be practiced regularly over a period of time to be most effective. This layout allows you the time and space to resolve any anxieties or issues, to release them, to explore your options & build your confidence prior to your baby’s arrival.
What is covered in the course?
- ALL aspects of antenatal education – it’s a fully comprehensive antenatal course
- How does your body work during labour & birth? how can you assist it?
- Help with choosing your health care providers carefully, finding the right ones for you and your personal situation
- Where & how you would like to give birth
- The birth partners role – What is their role? What does a birth partner need to do & how do they support mum fully?
- Creating your birth preferences – birth doesn’t stick to a “plan” so we create your preferences to adapt to your birth journey & to ensure all your needs/wishes are met at all times
- What options are available to you? What choices do you have?
- Interventions – avoiding medical intervention where possible, what to do & when to accept it if it’s necessary
- Natural induction – how to avoid artificial induction. A baby will come when it’s ready
- Address all your fears, anxieties & worries – surrounding birth, previous negative experiences, how are you going to parenting, juggling finances, your support network etc. Fear release skills & techniques.
- Physiological functions in pregnancy & birth – how nature has cleverly fine tuned our bodies to birth our babies – how birth really works
- Breathing techniques to assist you through the various parts of labour & birth. How to breathe correctly and effectively keeping you relaxed.
- Self hypnosis – deep relaxation
- Nutrition & looking after yourself whilst pregnant
- Positions for labour and birth – which ones are the most effective & how to get baby into the optimal birthing position
- Preparing for parenthood – the early weeks & months
- Post birth – what to expect, choices to make, how to adapt
- Bonding & feeding
- The fourth trimester
What is self-hypnosis? Will I feel out of it?
No not at all, you wont feel out of it or out of control. You’lll be totally aware of everything that is going on. A misconception I often hear. Self-hypnosis is not like hypnosis we see on the TV. It’s a way in which you can achieve a particular desire, change in behavior or thought as well as achieving a particular goal. In Hypnobirthing that goal is a calm birth experience. It’s a state of mind where you’ll be relaxed, aware of your thoughts & actions, totally in control of what you do & don’t wish to do. Self hypnosis (deep relaxation) is a state we go into naturally 10-12 times a day without even realising, for example when we daydream. Through your course & regular home practice you’ll learn to relax deeply, rapidly & easily.
What if I need a c-section or I require a surgical birth? Can I still use hypnobirthing?
HypnoBirthing™ is not just for women having a natural birth. The education, tools & techniques you learn are for any birth in any chosen place. Everything you will learn in this antenatal programme is extremely valuable in a medical setting & equips you to make informed decisions, stay relaxed and focused, as this situation can sometimes be daunting or feel like the unknown. Many mums report having wonderful, relaxed births when using hypnobirthing for assisted births & c sections. You still have many choices & rights to explore that you can take ownership of.
What’s included in the cost & what materials will I recieve?
The cost includes all 5 classes, support between each session & continued phone/email support until your baby arrives.
The cost also includes all your Hypnobirthing materials worth £55. You’ll receive your copy of the latest edition Marie Mongan HypnoBirthing™ book, your relaxation tracks prior to your first class so that you can become familiar with the content. Plus at your first class you receive your Lemon Tree goodie bag, complete with your course 120 page folder (your birth bible), positive birth affirmation cards & gorgeous goodies.
What can I expect from my hypnobirthing teacher?
I’m a chilled & approachable person, here to support & guide you not just only during your lessons but between them as well. You’re welcome to contact me with any questions or queries you have, or if there’s something you need some help with, even after you have completed the course. As a practitioner it’s really important to me that you feel your personal needs are met & that you get the most from the programme.
What can I expect at the classes?
One of the main areas we focus on is learning deep relaxation & breathing techniques, which we will practice every session. I ensure all my clients are comfortable and enjoy their classes in a comfortable, safe & calm environment. Plenty of cushions, blankets, refreshments & tea. The space I teach in is a light & welcoming environment for you to learn in. Each class contains a variety of practical work, listening, active learning, relaxation, watching videos, and group discussion. The course is set at a steady pace enabling you to learn easily and ask questions when needed. Its important to me you get the most out of your course.
Will I have a pain-free labour and birth?
This is something that can’t be guaranteed. Everyone woman & every birth is different. There are so many factors that affect birth, some that we are in control of & other’s that we aren’t. Some women report pain free births but most say that they were comfortable and had sensations & pressures rather than “pain”. The success of the techniques/tools you are taught does highly depend on the practice you put in as well as attending a course.
From the most recent surveys, 65-70% of mums using HypnoBirthing™ reported not needing any pain relief or medical intervention at all. These mums also reported experiencing pressure or sensations as opposed to pain. 20-25% only needed light pain relief – gas & air. The remaining 5-10% fall into the “special circumstances” category where medical intervention was necessary for the safety of the mother & baby. However, the women who were in this small category have still reported that using their HypnoBirthing™ skills really helped them & they still had a positive experience.